Monday 9 July 2012

Generational wisdom

When the midwife placed Ana in my arms, I looked at my beautiful child and thought...HOLY CRAP! What the heck can I teach this child?

When the panic passed, I decided I'd just have to make it up as I went along. I suspect my mother had the same realization, but managed too stay cooler about it. 

These days I'm getting pretty relaxed about this muddling through business, and I occasionally manage to come by actual bits of wisdom to impart on my offspring. Here's one I just found: make a habit of befriending artists. For these reasons: 
  1. They tend to make good drinking buddies.
  2. They are beautiful human beings who see the joy in life. 
  3. When they see the joy in life, they capture it in paint, and not using stick figures and glue. 
  4. Occasionally you get lucky and they decide to paint your portrait, which is pretty cool.
My dear friend and talented artist, Alejandra of superskat.com, created this portrait of all us girls here at Chaos HQ. She's also the genius behind the profile image on your right. 

Offspring - by Alejandra Bize. 
Do check out her lovely cards and other beautiful stuff. Should you find yourself in London or Copenhagen, buy her a pint of Guinness and see if you can talk her into painting your portrait. After two pints and several promises of gin, she may even agree to create a children's book series with you...but she'll have to finish a series with me first!

So there's my advice kids: befriend artists and buy them gin. And that's my parenting done for the week.

Thanks Ale!

4 comments:

  1. Bavarian Sojourn9 July 2012 at 22:16

    And you tell me this after I leave Copenhagen!! :) She is a very talented lady, what a great portrait! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't she awesome? And you never know...she may pass by Munich one of these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Befriend artist and bribe with gin for portrait, ok, on my list now thanks! Awesome portrait!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to add to your list (mamas always have long lists of stuff to do tomorrow, no?), but this one is totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete