Monday 25 February 2013

Returning

What's the point of February? Surely the UN or someone else with an acronym should just replace it with another June.

It is a month with no commitment, and no balls. Little League, like everything else fun, is many weeks away.

Spoonful of sugar for the medicine. 
February is neither winter nor spring. February is a stale candy heart that mutters tepidly: "Be my valentine. Because I'm bored and cold, and so are you."

To the month's credit, there is Fat Tuesday and Pancake Day. But let us not forget that these joyful exploits into pastry and beer are mere sugar coating for the long Lenten season of chocolate neglect and doldrumery ahead.

Every year, I listen hopefully for a specific February phrase: "Remember you are dust, and to dust you shall return."

A lot of normal people might get bummed out at such a sentiment, but I take it as a hopeful sign, like the return of the crocuses from the cold earth, that all this crap will soon be over.

13 comments:

  1. Oh my you have just written what we are all thinking. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to be such an Eeyore. Nearly through the woods now, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have echoed my sentiments exactly. I had the misfortune to enter the world in February. It's a wonder I didn't turn round and exit in disgust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, and don't worry about the Eeyoreing, I am British Eeyoreing is what we do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said. A friar friend once accidentally said 'pollo' instead of 'polvo' in the above mentioned verse during a South American mass.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hah! Well, as a quasi-Briton, I'm rather partial to the habit too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pity you don't get to pick your own birthday, isn't it? Personally, I would've been born on April 1st. Anyway, I reckon January is a much bigger abomination that February.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Remember you are chicken. And to chicken you shall return.


    Certainly has a ring to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic post. February has always been my least favourite month too. I guess the one thing - aside from Pancake Day - that it has on its side, however, is that it isn't as long as the other months. Sure, every 4 years it tries its best to "catch up", but it will simply never be a July.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. February has always been my least favourite month too. One thing - aside from Pancake Day - that it does have going for it, however, is its briefness. Sure, every 4 years it tries in vain to join the 30-day club, but, let's face it, February will never be another June.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry for posting essentially the same message twice. Initially, it hadn't looked as if the comment had posted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are very right about the brevity - I hadn't thought of that, and am now half-inclined to forgive February. Yet, to only make the effort every four years at proper month-hood seems so very lazy. So I shall continue to hate February for now.


    Thanks for stopping by, and lovely to discover your blog recently.

    ReplyDelete