Friday 19 November 2021

It's been a while. Words ebb and flow. I think in my younger motherhood days, words came so quickly that I could barely catch them and stick them here. Then they ebbed for many years (how did that happen?)

Several towns/countries/jobs/partners/entire hairstyles later, a word found me again today and tapped me on the shoulder. Asked me to follow it round the block, make it a cuppa, and sit with a while. And here we are. 

The tiny babies of this story are big babies now. My eldest just turned 14. So much has changed that it blows my mind. I think at the beginning I couldn't imagine that they would grow into these complex, beautiful beings, or that I would too along the way. That they, and I, are still growing. So much can be contained in the boundlessness of mañana. To quote the great prophet James Bond, tomorrow never dies. 

There is another addition. A hairy one, who sniffs butts, is hell-bent on destroying all Cat Kind, and eats stray dish towels like they are pringles. Funny how there are so many ways to grow family, welcome life, and be a mama. Some of these ways trend more towards butt sniffery and Cat Destruction. 

So my fourth child is a platinum hairball, and I am again a new mama, figuring the whole thing out. A bit grayer and snarkier, but not beyond new tricks. 

And old ones. It feels good to catch a word again, as it floats through the ether, and put it on a page. 

1 comment: