Friday 10 December 2010

10: Gingerbread 2, the over-budget sequel

Day 10 in Advent photos, day two in gingerbread terms. As you can see, the infinitely wise Grandma included not one, but a handful of cookie buttons on the calendar.
 Sugar squared. 
The aforementioned baking mission is complete. This house is fully stocked with gingerbread individuals, every one of them a person of (toddler) interest.

Ample opportunity.
Ampelmann, by the way, is someone I met back in the carefree BC days, while hanging out with my lovely sister, Tanta, in Berlin. He is the old East German pedestrian crossing guy, who narrowly survived takeover by the very boring West German walk/don't walk dude, and is still hard at work on the streets of Berlin today. Ampelmann is not only an Ostalgie superhero, but the quintessential Berliner (and no relation to jelly doughnuts). Tanta gifted me a pair of Ampelmann cookie cutters last Christmas. Now with a house full of sugary Ampelmenn, I suspect I will doze off this Christmas Eve with visions of Mitte dancing in my head. 

3 comments:

  1. How fun, and I so remember the homey-ness of your family and home around Christmas, and in general. I loved how your family played together, was knit together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely thought, thanks Janna. I remember some wonderful home-made delicacies from my afternoons spent at your place--pretzels, doughnuts, apple butter, amongst many. I have, for for years now, been attempting to imitate your fabulous apricot jam pillow cookies (sadly with limited success)...perhaps you would consider divulging the secret???

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely thought, thanks Janna. I remember some wonderful home-made delicacies from my afternoons spent at your place--pretzels, doughnuts, apple butter, amongst many. I have, for for years now, been attempting to imitate your fabulous apricot jam pillow cookies (sadly with limited success)...perhaps you would consider divulging the secret???

    ReplyDelete