Friday 3 December 2010

Christmas patchwork

When I was a girl my family began December with an Advent calendar, as many do. But ours was special: a beautiful Christmas tree wall hanging made by my mum. Each year my sister, brother and I pulled treasures from the red felt pocket and snapped them into place on the tree: teddy bears, stockings, stars, snowflakes, angelsthe flora and fauna of Christmas.

The given tree.  
Last week the postman brought us a special package from Grandma: a handmade Advent calendar, crafted in the style of the beloved one from my childhood. The girls tore through the wrapping, then spent the afternoon inspecting all the advent treasures in hushed, studious awe. Grandma has always been a talented quilter with an eye for detail. When I rang to thank her, she told me that it took her years to collect all the right buttons.

Adele of Mila's Daydreams has inspired me with her Advent photo calendar idea. So, although I am a little late starting this, I will post one of Grandma's charms each day for the rest of Advent, plus an accompanying wintertime picture.

The snowman is first up on the tree, followed by my favourite snow dude from last winter.

Buttons made of coal. 
Frosty the grillman. 

7 comments:

  1. I wish I had a talented grandma :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful advent calender! Every year I say I'm going to find (note: not make) a decent one we'll have forever, I never do. This year my son was given one of those ones from the supermarket with a chocolate for each day. That night he snuck out of bed, pulled it apart and ate them all, leaving foil wrappers throughout the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys--LJB, I keep telling Gma she should open a quilting business! Mid30s, we've had similar chocolate advent fiascos...poor little ones, they just have no resistance to chocolate (yak yak, like I do)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, they are wonderful. I keep meaning to make an advent calender, maybe if I start now I might get it done in time for Christmas - 2011

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, they are wonderful. I keep meaning to make an advent calender, maybe if I start now I might get it done in time for Christmas - 2011

    ReplyDelete
  6. natural cure for fatty liver disease natural cure
    for fatty liver disease natural cure for fatty liver disease

    Also visit my blog post - fatty liver and diet

    ReplyDelete