Friday 17 December 2010

17: Cookies revisited

Day seventeen and by now you may have noticed that I come from a long, proud line of cookie enthusiasts: buttered sugar runs deep in our veins.
We cooked the cookies in the cookie jar.
If cookie baking was an Olympic event (and it should be), Grandma would be a serial gold medallist. As a girl, I remember how exhausted she was by the sixty-fifth batch, running on endorphins and will-power alone, flanked either side by an international clutch of talented and fiercely competitive cookie-mums. My siblings and I could merely watch in awe, throw energy drinks and towels from the sidelines, and cheer wildly (though this will give you one heckava sore throat because most cookies require at least ten minutes at 175c). Inevitably, Grandma always produced a beautiful deep freezer full of cookies in record time, and we kids applied them to our hoarse throats all winter.

Peppernuts, or pfeffernusse, are compulsory in my family. Happily, they are also delicious. Both Grandma and Great-grandma K excel at peppernutting. Credit for the following wisdom belongs entirely to them, and of course to the long, proud line of peppernutters before them.

Peppernuts are pretty easy. In a mixer, cream 1 cup of softened butter with 1.5 cups of sugar, then beat in three eggs. Then add the zest of one lemon, half a teaspoon white pepper, 1 teaspoon cream of tartar, and 1 teaspoon cardamom (optionally you can also add dashes of the following if you like: lemon juice, cloves, or ginger). Add about 4.5 cups of flour, a bit at a time, just enough until you get a stiff dough. Roll into balls: big and chewy or small and crunchy according to your preference. Bake on greased cookie sheets at about 350f or 180c for about 8 minutes, or until lightly brown. Consume immoderately.
Half baked. 
Sadly I don't think I'm ready for Olympic peppernutting yet: a wise neighbour tells me that my batch tastes like Farley's Rusks.

5 comments:

  1. Ahh, sounds yummy, and brings back memories. Don't think I've ever had "white" pepper in my arsenal, though! Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the two-tone candy canes best! Whenever I see them, I think of Christmas gatherings with you and your kin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And CONGRATS! on the nomination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, thanks! I'm too lazy to make the candy canes this year, those things take some serious elbow grease. T, don't make your mom work too hard ;) and enjoy those fabulous pillow cookies she makes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, thanks! I'm too lazy to make the candy canes this year, those things take some serious elbow grease. T, don't make your mom work too hard ;) and enjoy those fabulous pillow cookies she makes.

    ReplyDelete