Thursday 28 April 2011

Belgo hold 'em

While searching for the loo in the cavernous basement of Belgo last night, I was nearly run over by a large man with Prince William's head. It took me a minute to realize that Belgo Basement Man was merely wearing a Wills mask, not Wills's actual head.

My first thought was that he must be a robber (it is currently easier to find a Kate/Wills mask than a balaclava at the local shops). Belgo isn't a typical target for hold-ups, but then again their mussels are quite delicious and not at all cheap if consumed by the ton. But upon further observation, I was able to confirm that the reason Belgo Basement Man had the face of a prince and the feet of a beer-enthusiast was because he was out on a commoner's stag night with his be-masked mates.

The memorabilia is everywhere, in every flavour under the sun: disco phone commercialsbiscuit tins, mugs, paper dollssick bags. Here are two snapshots from around town yesterday:

The word on one's street.
Royal cardboard.
I do hope that Belgo Basement Man will be able to resume a normal life and locate his bog standard head next week, after all the hoopla is over.

6 comments:

  1. We are strangely excited about it here in the US - I'm even planning to get up before 4 AM just to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaimie, you are brave! I haven't intentionally gotten up at 4am (for non-baby reasons) since the last time I was foolish enough to book a 6am Ryanair flight. Enjoy, hope you have a ready supply of caffeine :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so funny that you are so completely inunadated with it, I didn't even know until wednesday that it was on Friday. maybe it's just be and the self constructed vacuum I dwell in, eldest son seems to have savant qualities when it comes to royal wedding trivia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, a royal wedding savant - he has lucrative career waiting for him on American network TV! There certainly was a stuff inundation, but strangely few humans around in my bit of town - everybody left for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, a royal wedding savant - he has lucrative career waiting for him on American network TV! There certainly was a stuff inundation, but strangely few humans around in my bit of town - everybody left for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are strangely excited about it here in the US - I'm even planning to get up before 4 AM just to watch.

    ReplyDelete