Thursday 21 April 2011

Chariots of snooze

Last weekend, Papa took Ana to cheer on one of our family heroes, the lovely Auntie M, in the London marathon. Through the busy, buzzy heaving throng of activity, they managed to spot her and give wild buggy-chase, shouting 'MAZZA!' Instead of pretending not to know them (a justifiable response to MAZZA! in most cases), she ran over and gave them an elated hug. The hug caught fire (thankfully not literally) in the crowd, until a guy with a megaphone exclaimed 'that's what the London marathon is all about! Go MAZZA!'

Papa says the atmosphere on Sunday was that of infectious positive energy. Ana was overwhelmed and promptly went to sleep mode after MAZZA ran on:


My first thought on seeing this clip, is that it looks like my blog - that is, a dream as the world runs by on my doorstep. I'll wake and put my running shoes on before forever. Till then, I swap poo jokes to keep smiling (thanks to Tara Cain of Sticky Fingers for the Gallery prompt).

In spite of my dark sense of humour* I am increasingly attracted towards positive energy. I believe that empathy is the pinnacle of human evolution, and that collaboration can achieve far more than competition. Which is why my post of the week (thanks to Ella of Notes from Home) comes from the gob of Franklin Delano Roosevelt via Alyson. The quote puts it much more succinctly than I ever could (and speaking of which, Notes from Home and Alyson's Blog are both beacons of positivity that I hugely admire).

All this positive energy nonsense is not to be prescriptive, and it certainly isn't a clunky effort at political statement. It is more of a personal, spiritual goal - one of my guideposts in the dark, rocky cave of life. You know, that one that everybody has to blindly grope through with skinned knees and increasing regret, towards some unspecified end.

But keeping things on the positive - the beautiful sun is just sunning up over my rainy island, and there's a nice cuppa joe here that needs attending to.

*Curly hair and a bleak outlook are two things that I will never shake - I have tried - they are deep in my bones.

12 comments:

  1. wow Im truly honoured - Im so glad you are enjoying the positivity Doses - its a highlight of my day picking through them to use x

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... dark, rocky cave of life. What an evocative turn of phrase. I once went to some caves in Punakaiki NZ and if you stood there in the dark quietly for long enough glow worms would light up their little bottoms making the roof of the cave look like a starlit sky. I haven't thought about that in years...

    Happy Easter Mañana Mama

    BM
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. My pleasure Alyson, the positivity doses brighten my day.

    Bibs - I love that image, how beautiful - just as soon as these little monsters let me travel again, I want to go to Punakaiki and watch the glow worms illuminate the cavey-sky with their backsides - somehow a strangely fitting source of light, que no?

    Happy Easter to you and yours too.
    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Alyson's post, thanks for pointing me to it.

    And thanks for your kind words about my blog. I too have a similar outlook deep in my bones which I try hard to overcome so it means a lot to me that you said that about my site x

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have found you through alyson and am so glad that i have... i love your style of writing - or nonsense as you prefer to call it in your "about you" - and you make me smile huge smiles which is so, so very important. i'll be back - again and again and again... because, whether you know it or not, you spread joy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My pleasure Ella - I think the Post of the Week is such a great idea - and I would never in a hundred years guess that you had even an ounce of negativity in your bones!
    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's a BIG hug from Truffle (whose bleak-outlooking skills are still pretty good sometimes).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Truffle - I don't believe it! You are a super-positive influence on this old grump :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful post! I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy now, will pop over to Alyson's blog to read her post too
    XxX

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another wonderfully evocative post! Just how do those selfish evolutionary genes aspire to empathy? Free will?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah thanks Susanne and SummerRains, most kind. SR - I reckon a gaggle of empathists is more fit to survive than a lone shark (or less likely to get punched anyway :)
    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the way you put your words together, and I'm very happy to make your acquaintance. :)

    Happy weekend, newest friend!

    ReplyDelete