Tuesday 12 April 2011

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

You may have noticed that my favourite word - in English or in Spanish - is tomorrow. In the land of my birth, a 'mañana' isn't a literal 'tomorrow', but rather a word for things that will never come, and jobs that will remain undone forever. It is a word for the eternally unattainable - a cupboard reserved for when we get to heaven.

Of course it is silly for me to talk about this with all the gravitas of a college essay - the best thing about mañana is that it's always presented in good humour, with a shrug, a joke, a dose weathered optimism, and even a drink if you're lucky.

So if mañana is the dreams, and tomorrow is the real stuff, then surely the meeting point for these two verbal conceptions of the future is children. Tiring as they are today, the hard work will surely pay off tomorrow, and failing that mañana. 

Below is one of my favourite pictures. It was taken when, just after my eldest daughter was born, my mum journeyed across the world to hold tomorrow in her arms.

 'You know bald alien vole, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.'
This fading-light ramble, which will never come to fruition, was inspired by a Gallery prompt from Tara of Sticky Fingers (thanks - my favourite yet).

In related news, yesterday I read a lovely post along these very lines from Bibsey Mama - a vision out over the beautiful, sunny, parental fields of Spanish tomorrow. It put a huge smile on my face, and it is my Post of the Week (thank you Ella of Notes From Home).

In other news, some kind soul has given me a pleasant surprise in the form of a MAD Blog Awards nomination. Although I am frequently referred to as being actually mad, such a nomination is most unheard of around these parts - thank you.

And in other, other news, an influx of complaints from concerned viewers has led the Editorial Standards Quality Control Team here at Chaos HQ to acknowledge the recent trend toward sentimental mushiness, and insist that I resume poo jokes effective immediately.

31 comments:

  1. That picture really doesn't need any words does it...? Fabulous! Emma :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very beautiful! I'd be surprised if anyone could top this. Thank you. Wishing you a very happy tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really is a gorgeous photo - I am sure you treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very very lovely and wonderful...you've brought a tear to my eye! I hope all your tomorrows are happy ones xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. that picture gave me goosebumps - that look - its just a bond that you can almost touch - amazing

    ReplyDelete
  6. A magical moment captured in a beautiful photo. My favourite Gallery post so far x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful picture and lovely words. I had to visit you today! I nearly did a manana and posted pictures of all the mess I keep mananaing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's the first time I land on your blog.Thanks to the Gallery. I love your picture and words. Will come back again later when I have a bit more time. My little ones are 4 and 1 years old and calling me now :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photo and big congratulations on your nomination :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely picture and great post too. Well done on your MAD nomination, well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is a beautiful photo. magic :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing like that bond.
    My attempt is at http://gigglingatitall.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous photo and post. Am your newest follower so hi! Feel free to check out my post at http://wouldliketobeayummymummy.blogspot.com :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This theme had to be just for you!!!! Manana

    I love the look on your mother's face as she looks at the abby in her arms it expresses all the love in the universe - beautiful
    and congrats on your nomination xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hecho mucho de menos la palabra mañana,

    Tomorrow here doesn't seem to exist, today does though

    ReplyDelete
  16. How brilliant. I love that there's a word for those things that will happen some day, in some far off maybe tomorrow. Beautiful photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful post. I love that photo, it's perfect :) x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful moment captured in this shot.

    Can I also say... Aha! So I am not the only one who has been getting all dewy-eyed of late. Poo jokes are the antidote of course.

    BM
    x

    PS. thank you for the Post of the Week. Very very kind.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A beautiful post and the picture is a lovely snapshot of a precious moment.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a beautiful photograph, so endearing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A photo to cherish for the rest of your life ;o) - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Of course this would be your theme :)

    Made me well up a little then reading that. Such a truly beautiful picture Rachel and lovely words. Hurrah for lovely posts (that don't relate to poo)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looove that pic of your mom. You'll also find it interesting that friends of mine recently chose 'Tomorrow' as the name of their second child (a boy).

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful post and a lovely photo. Have a tear in my eye. And well done on your nomination, yours is one of the first blogs I ever read and have always loved, much deserved
    XxX

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful post and picture. And thanks for pointing me to Bibsey Mama's post which was also wonderful x

    ReplyDelete
  26. "a word for things that will never come, and jobs that will remain undone forever"

    Thank you so much for that description.

    ReplyDelete
  27. "a word for things that will never come, and jobs that will remain undone forever"

    Thank you so much for that description.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a beautiful post and a lovely photo. Have a tear in my eye. And well done on your nomination, yours is one of the first blogs I ever read and have always loved, much deserved
    XxX

    ReplyDelete